Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Glazed Doughnut Muffins




I saw this recipe on one of the blogs I follow and immediately thought I would have to make some today for the boys afternoon tea. Yes I know I still have the biscuits left but I really wanted to see how these tasted. Harry is sitting his grade one ballet exams at the end of June and he has been amazing in the amount of work he has put into practicing for them. He is really hungry at the moment and I think it's because of all the energy he using up so I think these will be a nice treat to have with a hot chocolate after school before we go to his extra ballet practice tonight. 


I love doughnuts but as they are deep fried they are a rare treat. However these are almost as good (she says trying to convince herself)! I say that because nothing beats a lovely fresh doughnut but when you can't really eat them, then these are a pretty good alternative. They are a breeze to make and even though I obviously over mixed them (I always do that to muffins!), they still have a lovely texture and a really nice flavour. The glaze adds to them and I think finishes them off and rounds them out. I think I will be making these again.


Glazed Doughnut Muffins



Muffins

60g butter
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp grd nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla 
2 2/3 c flour
1 c milk

Glaze

45g butter, melted
1 c icing sugar, sifted
3/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp hot water (you may need more)

Oven to 200 C. Line 12-15 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With the mixer on low speed add the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. 

Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.

Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Bake about 15 mins until muffin tops are a pale golden and springy to the touch, rotating halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool before glazing.

To Make the Glaze  

In a medium bowl mix together the melted butter, icing sugar, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.

When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Once hardened, dip a second time  and allow to harden then serve.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to make these for my sister Vanessa as she is a total donut head!!! I hope they turn out as gorgeous as these! xxxMichele

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were so easy to make Megan and soo tasty. I was also surprised with how well they kept!

    ReplyDelete