Saturday, May 14, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Sticky Toffee Tray Bake with Toffee Fudge Drizzle









For night shift last night I consulted one of my new cookbooks (seen in the last photo). This is pretty good book with lots of good ideas for easy weekend baking. I wanted something that could be made quickly before I had to get the boys from school. I love toffee and I love ginger and this combines both flavours to make this light and intensely flavoured tray bake cake. You can substitute the ginger for 50 g sultanas and put golden syrup in the icing instead of the ginger syrup, but luckily I still had some stem ginger in the fridge so I used that. I grated the ginger but the only thing I would have changed was that next time I'll also finely chop it after it has been grated.  This disappeared very quickly at work and I think if I had kept it home it would have been far too hard to resist. 


Sticky Toffee Tray Bake with Toffee Fudge Drizzle


175g butter, softened
125g dark muscovado sugar or brown sugar
150g golden syrup
75g treacle
200g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 Tbsp cream
2 balls of stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped


Oven to 180C. Butter and line a 20 x 33 cm baking tin (or one that is around that).


Put all the ingredients except the ginger into a large bowl and beat until well combined (you can use an electric mixer for this). Stir in the ginger.


Tip it into the tin and spread it out evenly. Bake about 25 mins until a skewer comes out clean and leave to cool completely in the tin.


Toffee Fudge Icing


50g butter
1 Tbsp syrup from the ginger
2 Tbsp cream
75g brown sugar
40g icing sugar, sifted.


Put the butter, syrup, brown sugar and cream into a pot and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the icing sugar.


Drizzle icing over the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment