Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baking for Nightshift (and Leigh's Birthday)- Chocolate, Macadamia and Fig Slice





Last Monday was my friend Leigh's birthday. We don't get to spend much time together and usually only see each other when we get to work together but after all the years we have known each other, (which is probably about 23 years...over half my life!), I always remember her birth date. It's funny how these things just stick with you and sure enough on the morning of the 16th May, pretty much the first thing I remember is that it is Leigh's birthday! Anyway I knew we were working together on Friday night so thought I would make at least one thing to take as a mark of the occasion. As I wasn't sure how I would feel when I woke up on Friday (or what time I would wake up), I chose this as my first option with some cupcakes as an extra (see the next post) if I had the time. As it turned out I managed to make both.


This slice is very easy and I think offers maximum chocolate flavour and decadence for a minimum effort. It's basically and melt in the pot and mix it all together. You could put whatever nuts or dried fruit you wanted to mix up the flavours a bit. This slice would be lovely with a cup of tea or coffee to give you that afternoon lift...or in our case a bit of get up and go on a very busy night shift.


No-Bake Chocolate, Macadamia and Fig Slice


100g butter
2 Tbsp runny honey
300g dark chocolate (I used 62%), broken into pieces
100g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
100g biscuits (I used Superwine), roughly chopped
100g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
100g dried figs, roughly chopped
Cocoa for dusting


Line a tin with baking paper.


Put the butter, honey and both types of chocolate in a medium pot and melt gently remembering to stir every now and then.


Put the chopped biscuits, nuts and figs into a bowl and add the chocolate mixture. Put into the tin and cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment