Monday, November 1, 2010

Spinach and Bacon Quiche ala Dorie Greenspan

Hmmm I forgot to take a photo while it was uncut...

Last night for dinner I planned to make this quiche. It did need forward planning as the pastry had to be made a good 4 hours before you needed it. While it was very easy to make in the food processor, the time required was the resting time. First it had to chilled for 3 hours in the fridge, then rolled out and the tin lined before you had to freeze it for a further hour. Having said that it was really good and tasted delicious. I think this will be my go-to pastry for tarts from now on. As you can see I really didn't have any problem with shrinkage which was due to not stretching it to fit in the tin.

Pastry waiting to go to the freezer

Partially baked crust
The filling was spinach, bacon, garlic and onion. I didn't have fresh so instead used a packet of frozen spinach which I defrosted and squeezed all the water out of before chopping it up. I used streaky bacon but as you fried it until it was crispy the fat was rendered out of it. The recipe called for 2 eggs and 2/3 c cream but I used 3 eggs and a cup of milk to get the calorie count down. I used more spinach than she said in the recipe but I really loved it however it really did need to extra egg to hold it altogether. As well as that the boys also loved it and I figured it was a good way to get more vegetables into them. Less spinach would also be good too... as would using the cream. I know quiche is a pretty standard dish but the star here is really the pastry. It was crisp and the the perfect carrier for the flavours of this dish. Yum!!! I would post the recipe but as  belong to FFwD we have unbdetaken not to publish the recipe.

Harry's portion with a tomato and cucumber salad

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! Thanks for the tips about the pastry resting time - we have to make this for FFwD next week and I otherwise might have left it til the last minute.

    ReplyDelete