Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sesame Fish with Vegetables and Noodles

Before the soy was added




For my last set of nights I tried to make sure I had something reasonably healthy to eat before I left. While I don't always manage to do this, most night's I do try to cook a meal at home to either have before I start work or else to have later on in the night. My boys are not overly keen on fish. Harry used to love it and he especially loved smoked salmon, but now he is pretty sure that he doesn't like it at all. It's such a pity as fish is such a good, healthy source of protein and Dons and I love it, so I make sure we get to indulge when the boys are at their dads house. This week when I went food shopping they had some lovely fresh looking salmon and some terakihi also on special. They have a very high turn over in their fish department so I know the quality is pretty good....important to know when you are buying fish! 


I had seen this recipe in the new Jo Seagar book and it appealed to me in that it had fish, noodles and was fast and easy to cook. The fish is marinated in a few bits and pieces first then stir fried with some beans and pak choi with some rice noodles added in at the end with the marinade. As Dons is gluten free it meant she could eat it too. I did adjust the recipe a bit and added in a couple of things which I think made it a lot more tasty as it was initially a little bland. With the additions of garlic, ginger and soy sauce (or Tamari), it was a really lovely dish and one that I will make again. It was even delicious when I had some at work. By then it was more of a cold salad and even though I could have heated it up, I really liked it cold too. This is a dish you can feel virtuous eating as it is healthy, low in fat and very tasty (once I added a few things).


In the wok before the noodles are added
Sesame Fish with Vegetables and Noodles (adapted from Jo Seagar 'It's Easier Than You Think')


700 (or so) gms fish (you can use anything you like or a mixture), cut into bite sized pieces
6 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp oil (I used grapeseed but anything flavourless)
couple of cloves of garlic crushed
some grated ginger
spring onions (I used 3 big ones), sliced diagonally
Green beans chopped into small lengths
Brocolli chopped into small florets
pak choi sliced
250 gms rice noodles (I used vermicelli)
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
Light soy sauce or tamari 
Limes to serve


Place the fish in a bowl with the sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and vinegar and stir to coat. Marinate for about 10 mins.


Soak the noodles in boiling water for 10 m ins then drain. If your waiting to use them, rinse with cold water.


Heat the oil over a med heat and cook the fish for a couple of mins. Add the garlic, ginger and veges and stir fry to heat through and cook a bit. Add the marinade mixture and heat through. Add the noodles.


Serve with the soy sauce or Tamari, lime wedges and sprinkle with the seeds.



1 comment:

  1. We do like the same types of food you and I!! Had already earmarked this recipe to try (from the same book) and will take note of your flavour comments.

    ReplyDelete