Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chocolate Muffins and Playing in the Park



Yesterday the house was pretty full with children. Aside from my two boys, Harry had his little friend Meg over to play and I had my niece Aleshia for the day as well. I thought it was a perfect day to make some muffins so went trawling through my books to find a couple of recipes. I don't often make muffins preferring to go the cupcake route, but they are easy to make and can be made so children like to eat them. Therefore I didn't have to think too hard before decided to go the chocolate route. First I found a recipe in Nigella Lawson's book 'Feast' for Double Chocolate Chip Muffins. They are the ones pictured at the top. I think I may have overcooked them a bit but they still tasted good especially for the children.

We only eat bananas when they are almost green so once they get to be all yellow they are relegated to only-for-baking status. Therefore I almost always have some in the bowl waiting to be cooked with or else to be thrown in the freezer. I recently got Nigella's new book called 'Kitchen' so thought I should at least break it in and make something from it. I chose the Banana Chocolate Muffins and elected to make half of the batter gluten free for Dons and the half as per the recipe. These muffins were lovely. They were light with a nice chocolate taste and were very easy to eat and enjoy. I made mine by hand so they had bits of banana in them (you can see this in the second photo). Dons said her ones were really nice too. I had replaced the flour content with the gluten free plain flour you can buy in the supermarket. This can be a risk as sometimes it doesn't taste all that good so I got lucky this time.  

After lunch I took all the kids to the park where the older ones could skateboard and the little ones could play on the playground. Of course the older ones were too embarrassed to skate with other more experienced skateboarders around, but it was still good to get them out of the house for a little while....actually probably better for me!

Harry and Meg

Reuben



Aleshia (do you think teenagers have forgotten how to smile for the camera?)




No comments:

Post a Comment