Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Apple-Coconut Family Cake


The other night I saw a friend of mine who has a small farm. Of course she has chooks so she always has eggs to sell. These eggs are beautiful and even though I only buy free range eggs, it's nice knowing they come from happy hens who are well looked after. I took my 3 dozen eggs home, (yes you did read that right....we go through about 5-7 dozen eggs a fortnight!), and put them in my not inexpensive fridge. The reason I mention the inexpensive bit is because the silly thing still on occasion freezes things up that are sitting right towards the back. Ridiculous really for a new and fancy fridge! When I got the carton of eggs out I found that 4 of them had frozen and cracked so rather than throw them out I defrosted them and did some baking to use them up. I know I don't need much of an excuse to get into the kitchen to bake but in this case I think it was a reasonably legitimate excuse. 

I looked through my favourite baking book called 'Baking- From My Home To Yours' by Dorie Greenspan to find a new recipe to try and decided upon this one for Apple-Coconut Cake. It was very easy to make and as I am still not over my night shifts it called for little thought and effort. I also baked some delicious cookies but I'll blog about those tomorrow. This recipe was lovely and I think was just as Dorie describes...a good family cake. For the purpose of this blog I tried some with custard but it would also be lovely with yoghurt, cream or ice cream. It is moist and one of those very easy cakes to eat. The recipe had 1 Tbsp of dark rum which I thought would get lost in the cake but funnily enough I could taste it in the background. I think I would make this again especially if I needed to whip something up in a hurry.

Cooling in the tin

View of the top after the glaze goes on

An unadorned slice

No comments:

Post a Comment