Friday, September 23, 2011

Lamb, Rosemary and Apple Sausage Rolls





Last night some of the girls from work descended upon our friend Caroline armed with food and of course the obligatory wine for a night of laughs and fun. The food was fabulous and I still feel bloated from it all today! We had a ton of laughs and the volume was definitely LOUD! Luckily we are all girls because that meant we could follow at least 4 different conversations at once... we are so talented when it comes to multi-tasking! Those who know me would say that no doubt a lot of the volume came from me however I think I can say that last night we were all just as guilty last night (yes girls you know who you are...). When I was a child my mother always said to me that I had a voice like a foghorn...and I have to say she wasn't exaggerating. I really only have 2 volumes...nothing at all or loud. Over the years I have learned to embrace this fabulous ability to be heard (so to speak) and really the only thing that can shut me up is some good food. These sausie rolls will not let you down and they certainly stopped me from talking for a good couple of minutes. These are an Annabel Langbein recipe from her cookbook 'The Free Range Cook'. George made these last weekend for Helen's birthday when we got back to their place for bubbles and cake. They were delicious then and they were delicious last night. For something so easy to make they give maximum impact for flavour. Last night they were a total hit to the point where Adelle has been texting me this morning to hurry up and get the recipe on my blog so here it is... Remember you can make these as fat or as small as you like.


Lamb, Rosemary and Apple Sausage Rolls


400g lamb mince (buy it fresh as it can get a bit watery when defrosted)
250g sausage meat (I split my favourite pork sausages and squeezed out the meat)
1 apple, unpeeled and grated
1 whole egg and 1 egg white
1 small onion, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2tsp finely chopped rosemary
3 finely chopped sage leaves (but I just used some dried sage)
1 tsp fruit chutney or tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
pepper
Sheets flaky pastry


Preheat the oven to 200C and line baking trays with baking paper.


Place the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands. I actually squeezed out the juice from the grated onion and apple as well as they seemed pretty sodden with juice.


Roll in the pastry to get the sizes you want. Place on the trays seam side down. Put a hole or a slash in the top of each to allow the steam to escape. Brush the tops with the egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water.


Bake 20 mins then check if any liquid has come out of the rolls and soak it up with paper towels if there is any. Bake another 10 mins. Adjust the cooking time for the size of the rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment