Friday, September 30, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookies



The other week my new Bill Granger book arrived from the UK Amazon called 'Bill's Basics'. While it sounds like a simple, straightforward book containing all the boring basics, it really isn't. The recipes are pretty easy but still innovative and new. If you are an experienced cook you will still be happy with this book. I can't resist Bill's books and every time her releases one I always say I don't need it....then promptly buy it. I'm waiting for his latest book on Asian cooking to arrive as I type!


This recipe struck me as being the kind of thing you could whip up in a hurry when you need to take something or have friends over. It's even great for after school treats or for the lunchbox (both the kids and yours). The recipe actually uses pecans which I love, but as I only had walnuts I used those instead, although he does say you can use walnuts instead of pecans in the book.


So some of these will make a trip across the road for our wonderful neighbour who always keeps an eye on our house when we aren't there, and the rest will come to work with me tonight for the girls. I have also made something else to take but these will be a nice little extra to take. Although the photos don't look very exciting they taste really good so give them a go.


Chocolate Chip and Walnut (or Pecan) Cookies (Bill Granger 'Bill's Basics)


125g butter, softened
110g brown sugar
55g white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt (I leave this out as I use salted butter)
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g dark or milk chocolate, chopped
70g pecans or walnuts, chopped


Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy and smooth.Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder and mix lightly. Stir in the chocolate and nuts.


Spoon dessertspoons onto a baking paper lined tray leaving space for spreading. Bakes at 180 C for 10-12 mins. Leave for a few minutes on the tray before cooling on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment