Friday, September 2, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Black-bottom Cupcakes





I made these for night shift on Tuesday night. One of my latest book purchases is one called 'Mix and Bake' by Belinda Jeffery. After getting it out of the library a few times I decided it really was worth the purchase so had to do a mad search to find a copy of it. I eventually found one at Borders (which is becoming a big Whitcoulls) at Sylvia Park. Such is the desperation of a cookbook addict when a decision is made that she definitely NEEDS a certain book and her life just won't be complete without it....get my drift on the addict thing? 


Anyway this recipe is again, very easy to make. I found the cupcake bit at the bottom wasn't very light but I think this is because has no eggs in it. Next time I will make the cake component less and the cheesecake component more. I found that the cheesecake layer seemed to sink into the cupcake layer a bit. Nonetheless they were still pretty yummy. She says you can make them in any size cupcake you like and that they freeze well.


Black-bottom Cupcakes


1 1/2c flour
1c castor sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/3c cocoa
1c warm water
1 tsp vanilla
1/3c oil (I used grapeseed)
1tsp white vinegar


Topping
250g cream cheese
1/3c castor sugar
1 egg
1c or 200g dark chocolate buttons or chocolate chopped into small chunks


Oven to 180 and line muffin tins (I got 14 medium sized ones out of this recipe).


For the topping beat the cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate and set aside.


Sift flour, soda, salt, cocoa and whisk in the sugar. In a separate bowl whisk together the warm water, vinegar, vanilla and oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir until mixed well but don't overdo this.


Spoon batter into cases until about 2/3's full. Spoon in a heaped dessertspoon of the cream cheese mix on top of each one.


Bake about 30-35 mins until cooked (I baked mine for 35 mins but I think it may have been just a bit too long). Cool out of the tin on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment