Friday, August 26, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Lemon Syrup Bundt Cake







Tonight for night shift I thought I would make this delicious bundt cake. I got the recipe from one of the many blogs I follow and first made it for my friends cafe the other day. Although I have had pretty bad joint pain for the last couple of months, I can't stand lying around at home doing nothing. However I have had to strike a happy medium lately and make sure I rest up so my joints aren't too terrible when I go to work. Today I thought I would bake a cake for work before resting up a bit in the afternoon. This is a very easy recipe to make and any chance I get to pull out my bundt tins, I tend to jump at. In fact I'm waiting for a book to come from Amazon called 'Kiss my Bundt' so hopefully in the not-too-distant future I'll be posting about all sorts of fabulous bundt cakes. This cake has a lovely lemon syrup poured (or brushed) over top and then has a basic glaze poured over it to accentuate it's lovely angles and curves. 


Lemon Syrup Bundt Cake


The Cake
1c yoghurt (I have also used buttermilk)
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4c lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
230g butter
2c sugar
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
4 eggs
2 3/4c flour


The Syrup
1/2c sugar
1/2c lemon juice
1/4c water


The Glaze
Icing sugar
Milk to get the right consistency (a bit like very thick pouring cream)


Oven to 175 C and grease a 10-12c bundt tin well. You could also make this is a 25cm tin.


Whisk together the yoghurt, vanilla, lemon zest and juice.


Whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda.


Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy then add each egg one at a time beating well after each. Add half the flour mix followed by the yoghurt mix then the rest of the flour mix. Do not overbeat and mix until each is just mixed in.


Bake about 40min (this all depends on the size of tin you have used so make sure to check it with a skewer first).


Cool on a wire rack for about 15mins before turning out. Brush and spoon over the syrup while still warm then pour over the glaze when cold.


To make the syrup- put all the ingredients into a small pot and bring to a boil. Simmer a few minutes until syrupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment