Monday, August 15, 2011

Miette's Peanut Butter Cookies




The other day this cookbook I have been waiting for, for what seems like months and months, finally arrived from Amazon. I had read much hype about it (I was actually taken in immediately when I saw the lovely photograph on the front cover), and since getting it, have read about the actual place on some people's blogs. Miette is a bakery in San Francisco and one which sounds extremely popular. By all accounts most of the food there is lovely and the shop itself beautiful, and the book itself does not disappoint in that the presentation, including the gorgeous scalloped pages, and the recipes look amazing. HOWEVER,....and there is a however, I was lucky enough to read on a blog I follow that there were a number of typos and errors in the book. While they have since published something to rectify this, I was still very disappointed as it was pure luck that I even discovered this. Had I made some of the affected recipes and they had turned out wrong I would have been a little bit miffed and you would expect a book of this caliber to have been carefully proof-read. By the sounds of it it has really deflated peoples expectations of this book which is a real pity as it is so lovely. Anyway I have since contacted Amazon and they are sending me a new book which will hopefully be ok. 


Anyway while I was still blissfully unaware of the issues surrounding this book, I gave these biscuits a go. We are a real peanut butter family with all of us loving the stuff. I try not to eat it but sometimes it's a struggle to stay away from it! These were very easy to make and they tasted pretty good too. The recipe is one of the errors in that it says they make up to 120 cookies....um I don't think you would have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that this would be pretty impossible. My mix seemed to spread a bit so they lost that lovely 'meat-mallet' look but this could be remedied easily by putting the mix into the fridge for awhile. However I really like that they were nice and crispy and went perfectly with a cup of tea.


Miette's Peanut Butter Cookies


1 1/2c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2c (about 115g) soft butter
1/2c sugar
1/3c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2c plus 2 Tbsp crunchy or smooth peanut butter


Line baking sheets with baking paper and preheat the oven to 175C.


Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla together in aq mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Add the peanut butter and mix until smooth and uniform. Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix until just combined.


Roll balls and flatten with a meat mallet to give that lovely criss-cross appearance or else use a fork. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar and bake until lightly browned (about 10-13  
mins depending on how big you have made them). Remove the biscuits from the trays and cool on a wire rack

No comments:

Post a Comment