Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Ginger Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing



As the work girls would attest I have been a little slack with my baking with all the other things I have had going on in the last couple of weeks. So I decided to pull my finger out and get back into action. In fact I know I have been a little removed form my Kitchen Aid as in my last food shop, for the first time ever, I didn't need any of the sugars, no flour, no chocolate and I only needed one block of butter (instead of the usual 3-4), AND we had only just run of of eggs (I go through about 5-6 dozen a fortnight...yes you heard right but we also eat a lot of eggs!). As well as that Reuben asked me about four times if I had any home-baking! 


Anyway as time was still of the essence I had to quickly pick a recipe to make and after a quick look in Tamara Jane's book Divine Cupcakes, thought these would fit the bill. I did leave out the crystallised ginger as I really don't like it, but I don't think this was a necessity to include. This recipe only has 1/4 tsp baking soda in it which I wondered if this could have been a typo. Now, having made them, I can see it isn't BUT I like my cupcakes to have a nice, light texture. These ones had more of a 'bite' to them so while not tough, were not exactly what I like. I also thought the spices could have been a bit stronger. The icing went really well as lemon does seem to pair well with ginger. But a cinnamon, ginger or vanilla  buttercream would have been great too.


I know I have to start getting a bit more adventurous with my baking now but as the next couple of weeks are shaping up to be busy too, I can only hope I get the time to make anything at all to at least placate the boys for the weekend. Hmmmm maybe tomorrow after I finish my nightshifts....surely I can find a BIT of time to spend in the kitchen... Watch this space!


Ginger Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting


300g flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
150g butter
400g caster sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
160ml sour cream
100g finely chopped crystallised ginger


Oven to 170 C. Line 24 muffin tins.


Sift together the flour, soda, salt and spices.


Cream the butter until it is soft, then add the caster sugar in 3 lots beating for 1-2 mins after each. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy and the sugar almost dissolved.


Add the eggs one at a time beating for a minutes after each. Add the vanilla.


Add half the dry ingredients and the chopped ginger (if using), and half the sour cream and stir until just combined. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.


Bake about 20 mins then cool out of the tins on a wire rack.


Cream Cheese Icing (this is a little made up)


100g butter
100g cream cheese
Rind of a big lemon
About 4-5 c icing sugar
Lemon juice to get the right consistency


Put the cream cheese, lemon rind and butter into a food processor (or into the mixer) and beat until smooth. Add the icing sugar and the lemon juice to get the consistency you want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment