Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feijoa Loaf



In our house the most favourite fruit ever for all of us is the Feijoa. All year we look forward to them and every year we make a pledge to plant a couple of our own trees. Needless to say every year we don't get around to it...!!! In our area it seems like every second house has a nice mature feijoa tree and it is torture seeing all that lovely ripe fruit rotting away on the ground because either the household has too many feijoas to eat so they are heartily sick of them, or sin of all sins...they hate them! We usually manage to find a few bags here and there so we do tend to get our fill of this most delicious fruit. I try not to buy them as they are ridiculously expensive but when the feijoa need to calling I sometimes relent especially at the beginning of the season. As we have had quite a few given to us, I have at least managed to freeze quite a lot so we can enjoy them out of season in a crumble or in a cake. This recipe was one that I found in last weeks Sunday Star Times magazine. It is very easy to bake, has little butter in and actually made a very moist and flavourful loaf cake. I think it gets better with a bit of time as today the feijoa flavour is more pronounced than it was when I made it yesterday. I put a lemon glaze on it as I love the lemon/feijoa combination. I made the glaze by melting a bit of butter then adding lemon juice and rind and finally icing sugar. If you have some spare feijoas give this recipe a go as it is really quite good for little effort.


Feijoa Loaf


Place 1 cup of peeled and chopped feijoas, I cup of boiling water, 50 grams of butter and 1 cup of sugar into a pot and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.


Cool slightly then add in 2 cups of self raising flour, 1 eggs and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. 


Pour into a loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes at 180 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment