Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Banana Bundt cake with Caramel Drizzle Icing



Well after writing about 3 paragraphs for this post I pushed some button and managed to delete the whole thing!!! As you can well imagine the words that came out of my mouth were NOT rated PG...just as well the boys are at their dad's house.....!!!

Anyway now I will make this shorted and sweeter having lost my mojo for the post. I made this cake last night for work after looking around my kitchen and spotting 4 very ripe bananas in need of either the bin or to be used. I know you can freeze them but I already have heaps in the freezer so wasn't keen on that option. This recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's book 'Baking- from My Home To Yours' which is a fantastic baking book. Her recipes almost always work despite her being an American author which doesn't always work for the ingredients and products we have here down at the bottom of the earth.

The cake worked really well and it tasted really good. I did add some spices to the recipe as I like my banana cake to have a bit of extra flavour to it. I also made a caramel drizzle icing to make the cake look a bit better...as sexy as the bundt tin's curves are, the cakes can look a little same same in photos; as well as that I love caramel and I especially love how it works with banana cake.  

Anyway here is the recipe and here's hoping I don't delete the bloody thing again!!!

Classic Banana Bundt Cake (adapted from Dorie Greenspan)

3c flour
2 tsp baking soda
225g butter
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
4 ripe bananas (you need 1 1/2- 1 3/4 c mashed bananas)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1c sour cream or yoghurt

Oven to  170 C and prepare a bundt tin (or a 26 cm tin if you don't have one).

Whisk flour, soda and spices together.

Cream the butter then add the sugar and beat until pale and creamy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the bananas. Finally mix in half of the dry ingredients, then all the sour cream, then the rest of the dry ingredients.

Bake 1 hour or more depending on your oven.

Caramel Drizzle Icing

2 Tbsp butter
1/2 milk
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt the butter then add the sugar and milk. Bring to the boil and boil vigorously for a minute. Take off the heat and add half of the icing sugar and the vanilla. Add more icing sugar until you get the consistency you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment