Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


These cupcakes were made for work last night. I also took the Date and Coconut Cake (which incidentally was really delicious), but have been dying to try this recipe ever since I got my new cookbook called 'Celebration Cupcakes' by Tamara Jane. She is also the author of one of my 2 top cupcake books called 'Divine Cupcakes'. I love it when you find a cookbook where the recipes work and all taste fantastic and hers most definitely do this. As well as this she has lovely flavour combinations to make the cupcakes just that little bit different. There are also loads of ideas for decorating them put in an easy to understand way.


I love the spices in Chai tea and although I don't often drink it, the just love the smell that comes from even just the tea bags sitting in my pantry. This was another easy recipe and the cupcakes were lovely. I especially loved the buttercream which was light and fluffy but still had that lovely taste of vanilla with cinnamon. If you like to make cupcakes I strongly recommend Tamara Jane's cupcake books...the only regret you might have is on your waistline as you indulge but don't say you weren't warned!


Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


160 ml milk (2/3 c)
2 chai teabags or 2 tsp loose chai tea
125g butter
200g caster sugar
2 eggs
250g flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp finely chopped pistachio nuts


Oven to 180 C and line 18 muffin tins with liners (the recipe says 12 but I got 18).


In a pot heat the milk and chai together. Allow to gently come to the boil then remove from the heat and leave to infuse and cool. Remove the tea bags or strain the milk.


Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.


Stir in the dry ingredients, the nuts and then the infused milk. Beat until just combined.


Bake about 20 mins or until cooked.


For the buttercream, make your favourite buttercream making sure to beat the butter well before you add your icing sugar, vanilla and milk. Add in cinnamon to taste...I used about a teaspoon and beat well. Pipe onto the cupcakes (or ice them any which way) then top with some extra chopped pistachio nuts. Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment