Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Baking for Nightshift- Chocolate Raspberry Brownie Cake

Last night for work I whipped up a couple of things so I could return my lovely Philipina friend's container to her. Ning (or Lady Gaga as we call her), brings me in the most most amazing Philipino food. My favourites are Adobo or Pancit so the other night I got a container of chicken adobo and rice which I had all to myself for the dinner the next night....to say this dish is delicious would be a gross understatement!!! Anyway I thought I would return her container filled with biscuits which was why I made a couple of things.

This recipe was one that I tore out from the Listener. I liked the look of it because anything chocolate and raspberry has got to be good and it also didn't have any chocolate in it. You do have to use good rich cocoa and while she recommends Valrhona, I used the fantastic Equagold cocoa which to my mind, is as good as Valrhona. This was delicious. Mine took about an extra 10 mins to cook but that was because my tin was only 20 cm square instead of 22 cm. However I'll be glad to have this on my list of quick, easy and lots of bang-for-your-buck recipes.

Chocolate Raspberry Brownie Cake

200g butter
400g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
75g cocoa
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 c fresh or frozen raspberries
Icing sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 170C and grease and flour a 22 cm square tin (I lined mine with baking paper too.

Cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time with the vanilla and beat well.

Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the butter mix carefully.

Put half the mixture into the tin, top with half the raspberries then top with the remaining mixture before topping the lot with the rest of the raspberries.

Bake about 45 min until a skewer comes out pretty much clean (mine still had crumbs on it and those pieces we yummy), and coming away from the tin. Dust with icing sugar once it has cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment