Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Baking for Simon- Triple Lemon Cupcakes Part 1





Packed and waiting 

I have SO much to blog about I have been putting it off. However as I sit here on the couch with my first cold of the year I have some time to do it....and there is nothing on the telly to distract me as I have caught up with the pre recorded programs I never have time to watch. The most unfortunate thing about this cold is that I have coughed so much I now have fully fledged Laryngitis. I can't remember the last time this happened to me but it feels almost claustrophobic not being able to talk. Those of you who know me will also know how much of a talker I am so to know that is to know the hell I am in having to be silent. I mean what if the phone goes? What about the list of things I have to do that involve talking? HELP!!!!

Anyway yesterday, when I could talk, I had an appointment for my little one with Simon who is a Paediatrician/Neonatologist I work with with. He also happens to be one of my my favourite bosses who I trust implicitly AND he has a very sweet tooth. I had promised baking to which he had requested 'cupcakes with lashings of icing'. That was what he got.

The first flavour I chose was inspired by the Lemon Curd I had made from the Little and Friday Cookbook over the weekend (there is more to come on this fantastic cookbook). I thought Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Curd in the middle with a Lemon Buttercream would be delicious. I have to say, without shame, they were (in fact I might have to whip some up for night shift on Friday). I found a couple of recipes but went with good old Martha Stewart. I halved the recipe and still got 16 cupcakes from the mixture. They were light and had a lovely lemon flavour to them. The curd in the centre was fantastic and the Lemon Buttercream just completed the lemon experience. You have to try these cupcakes. 

Triple Lemon Cupcakes (I halved this recipe but will give you the full one)

3 c flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I only put in 1/4 tsp as I use salted butter)
230 g butter
2 c sugar
4 large eggs
finely grated zest of 3 lemons (about 3 Tbsp) and 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 c buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 170C and line muffin tins with cupcake papers.

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (don't hurry this stage). Add the eggs one at a time beating for a minute after each. Beat in the zest and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the flour alternately with the buttermilk and juice in 3 lots.

Spoon into tins and bake 20-25mins until cooked and a skewer comes out clean. Once they are cool take out the centre (I use an apple corer), and put in some lemon curd (either homemade or bought). Put the tops back on that you have cut out (you might need to cut them down a bit) and ice with a nice lemon buttercream (just a light lemon flavour is all you will need).



No comments:

Post a Comment