Saturday, September 1, 2012

Baking for Nightshift- Rhubarb and Custard Cake




I tried to post this the night I made it to take to work but this silly laptop was playing up and the photos weren't loading. We are sort of lucky said laptop didn't end up out the window with an accompanying temper tantrum! Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with their computer? I hate mine with a passion at times but these days they are a necessary part of life and we can no longer do without them! Very frustrating!

As you can see by the tile of this post I made this cake to take to work on Monday night. I found it in a magazine and earmarked it immediately because if it has custard and rhubarb in it it must be good! I was right, it was delicious and a make-again cake. I used the ready made Thick and Creamy Custard, so even that part of it was easy. However you could whip up a batch of the good old Edmonds custard if you really wanted to. You could also change the fruit depending on what is in season. Apricots or peaches would be delicious! So to get to the recipe as we are taking Harry to the RNZBC's performance on Cinderella tonight and I still have to get ready and get some dinner sorted before we go.

Rhubarb and Custard Cake (Real magazine)

250g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
1 1/4 c caster sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon or 1 orange (I used an orange and it was perfect)
200 g butter
3 eggs
1 3/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c store bought custard

Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease and line a 23 cm tin.

Toss the rhubarb with 1/4 c sugar and the zest. Set aside.

Cream the butter and remaining sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the butter mixture alternately with 1/2 c custard.

Spoon about 3/4 mixture into the tin and sprinkle the rhubarb over the top. Dot with the remaining custard (I think I actually used about another 1/2 c because I love custard), and then spoon the rest of the mixture on the top leaving some of the rhubarb showong.

Bake about 50-55 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 mins then remove to cool. Dust with icing sugar. Lovely served with more custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment