Sunday, December 11, 2011

Passionfruit and Yoghurt Syrup Cake







After what feels like a looong absence I have quite a few things to put onto my blog. So much has happened in the last couple of weeks. It's my young son Harry's 7th birthday next weekend and so we have been in birthday party planning mode. We had his disco party last night so I'll post something about that later. As well as that it's the end of the school year with all associated end-of-the-year celebrations (for those of you who don't live in NZ or Australia, our end of year happens in December and the kids have a long holiday then); the end of all the activities for the year (which gives us and Harry a break from dragging him around to swimming, piano and ballet twice a week); doing the mad rush that is Christmas shopping; celebrating other kids birthdays who have also had to wait a full year before getting their birthday and Xmas in one hit; planning visits from overseas family and friends; still having to go to work on top of all that; and for us, being burgled again so having to deal with the fallout from that.

Being burgled has been awful. This time they managed to break into our double locked bedroom french doors and avoid setting off our alarm by reaching in just out of the alarm sensors pick up zone, and stealing my jewellery boxes. Not only did they take, almost, every piece of jewellery I own (both worth something and not), but they also got my grandfathers war medals and the watch my grandmother wore when she died. These were the things I was most upset over as the sentimental value far outweighs anything worth any money. They also got my spare car key which means I have to get a car alarm and immobiliser installed asap. I can get through it knowing that karma is a bitch and they WILL get what is owing to them...and if that doesn't work then my dead loved ones will make sure they get their come-uppance. 

Anyway onto the food.... I made this for night shift a couple of weeks back. A few months ago (it may even be longer), I bought a mini bundt cake tin which holds 6 little gorgeous cakes and as I already have the little rose version, thought it was time to put these to use. I was not disappointed and they looked lovely. I got this recipe form Julie Le Clerc's new cookbook  'Favourite Cakes'. Although passionfruit aren't yet in season, I used the Tasti Passionfruit and just reduced the sugar content in the syrup a little to compensate. These were lovely but I think they would have been even better with some yoghurt or cream on the side...actually mascarpone would have been even better. And they certainly looked like they were complicated to make and required a lot more effort than they did. If you do make it in a bigger tin try to use a ring tin.

Passionfruit Yoghurt Syrup Cake (Julie Le Clerc)

1 c grapeseed oil (or Canola would be fine to use)
1 1/2 c caster sugar
good pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 c plain yoghurt (or you could use passionfruit yoghurt)
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
2 c self raising flour, sifted

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 22cm bundt tin. 

Put oil, sugar, and salt into a bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved (or almost there). Whisk in the eggs, beating until the mixture is creamy, then stir in the yoghurt, lemon zest and juice. Stir in the flour just enough to combine making sure to not overmix. Put inot the tin and bake about 60 mins (less if you are using the tins I used). Stand in the tin for 15 mins then turn out and cool on a wire rack. Pour hot syrup over the cool cake

Passionfruit Syrup
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c water
1 c sugar
1/2 c passionfruit pulp

Place all ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer 5-10 mins until syrupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment