Friday, November 11, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Magic Slice



OOPS!!! When I woke up this afternoon I got a call on my mobile from work which is unusual when you are on night shift and coming back that night. OMG what had I done??? Had I made an error? Had I not done something essential that was so urgent it couldn't wait until I got back to work? NO! I had taken the level 3 work mobile home and they had been looking for it ALL day. I was sure I had left it charging at the front desk but in my sleep deprived state I had put it into my bag and taken it home, telling the day staff that it was still charging. When I sheepishly dug the phone out from the bottom of my little carry-around work bag there were only 20 missed calls and a couple of messages. Oh dear!  


Therefore as part of my penance I had to make something to take tonight. I almost always bake for my first night shift and very rarely bake when I am in the middle of nights due to a certain amount of vagueness. But after a cup of tea and armed with a strong double shot coffee, I set to whipping this up. Of course it was not a taxing slice to make and is guaranteed to be rich, chewy, tasty and full of delicious ingredients. I know it looks healthy but this is anything but. Harry gave it his mark of approval and I know this will redeem me somewhat...maybe....?!


Magic Slice (from 'Ripe Recipes')


180g biscuit crumbs (I used Superwine)
75g butter, melted
1 c milk or dark chocolate drop/bits
1 c desiccated coconut
1 c sliced almonds
1 c raisins
1 can sweetened condensed milk


Preheat the oven and line a 20 x 30cm baking tin with baking paper.


Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and pat into the prepared tin. Chill about 15 mins. Mix the raisins, chocolate, coconut and almonds in a bowl then add the condensed milk and mix well into a sticky mess. Cover the base with the topping and make sure it is spread out evenly. Bake 20-25 mins until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cut when cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment