Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Baking for Nightshift- Feijoa Upside-Down Cake


For night shift on Monday night I wanted to make something using some of the delicious feijoas we had managed to get from under the trees when we were up at Leigh over the weekend. Without a doubt feijoas are my most favourite fruit and Ever since I had seen this recipe in the Ripe cookbook I have been waiting for Autumn to come and for the feijoas to start coming. It's basically a ginger cake with feijoas on top. I used way more than the recipe stated and because of that it wasn't as pretty as it could have been if they were more spaced out. It did, however, taste really lovely especially with the generous amount of feijoas I had put on top. I also took in some lightly whipped cream to have with it as it is the kind of cake that just screams out for some cream or nice yoghurt on the side. You can substitute the feijoas for pears, bananas or even tinned pineapple. Unfortunately as I was running out the door I grabbed my container which promptly came apart tipping the cake onto the bench as I hadn't clipped in properly. I did the best I could to put it back together and took it to work anyway. I did make it look even more ugly but I figured that it would still taste the same anyway.

Feijoa Upside-Down Cake

Oven to 170 C. Line the base and grease a 23 cm tin with baking paper.

Topping

50 gm butter
1/2 c brown sugar
6 large feijoas peeled and sliced thinly. Toss in lemon juice to stop from browning.

Melt the buter and sugar together until the sugar has melted. Pour into the base of the prepared tin. Arrange the feijoas nicely in the tin. 

Cake

50 gm butter
1/2 c caster sugar
1 egg
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c golden syrup
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp grd ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c warm milk (it doesn't say this in the recipe but I think it would make the cake lighter)

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, golden syrup and lemon juie and mix to combine.

Sift together the flour and spices. Dissolve the soda in the milk. Add the dry ingredients and the milk alternately to the butter mix starting and finishing with the dry. Mix until combined. 

our over the feijoas carefully and bake 30-40 minutes. Cool in the tin. Before serving run a knife around the edge of the tin and tip it onto a plate (make sure you put the plate over the tin to tip it or else there will be a mess).

No comments:

Post a Comment