Monday, June 3, 2013

Creme Caramel





I have always wanted to try making Creme Caramel and even though it seemed simple I have read about many many disasters....mostly with getting the thing out and looking lovely. I saw this recipe in the Saturday Herald's Canvas magazine by Donna Hay. My natural instinct is to then go online and proceed to over-read more recipes to confuse myself and make me doubt the recipe I had originally seen. Although I did do that, I ended up biting the bullet and going with the first one I had seen. I figured it could be a bit of a costly mistake as it uses 6 eggs! But sometimes you just have to take the plunge and I'm glad I did because this dessert is delicious! We all loved it. 

The caramel was perfect and taken just to the right point where it was rich and dark but not burnt. The custard was delicious just like a good baked custard should be. They came out of the ramekins easy too. The only bummer is that not all the caramel comes out and because it's so good it seems like a waste. I dipped the bases of my ramekins into a small amount of boiling water so the caramel would melt and they would unmold easily. I also ran a sharp knife around the edge of the custard. So this dessert is easy, delicious and well worth making. I'm sure it will be in hot demand with my family. If you want to give this a go you can find the recipe here. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh yum.. I read that too.. I wondered if it could be something I would cope with. Seems so complicated.. I will try it after this post! You've inspired me! I love Donna hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you made it and found it as easy as I did. I was also wondering the same thing but it's actually a breeze...the hardest thing is getting that toffee to the perfect colour....almost burnt but not quite. Good luck!

      Delete