Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tiramisu Cupcakes



Wow it feels like forever since I last posted. Needless to say it has been a busy time. In the last couple of weeks I have been to Sydney for a conference, come back and caught up with all that needed doing since I had been gone, got back into the swing of being a mother of two boys and gone back to work! The night before I left we had a little get together for mine and my mum's birthday as on the actual days I was working night shift. 


I was mum's 21st birthday present as I was born only 2 days after she had her 21st. Imagine that! Being largely pregnant with your first baby and going into a long and difficult labour and delivery all on the milestone that is turning 21! For a couple of years it was just me and my mum until she met my lovely dad when I was nearly two. She had struggled a lot...especially having a baby on her own in the 1960's which was a little taboo (to put it mildly). It still amazes me that she pulled it off, as back then there were no benefits to help women in that situation and adoption was more the norm rather than the exception it is today. Life was hard for my mum as she had to go back to work when I was only about 6 weeks old, put me into daycare and negotiate all that went with having a little baby at a time when this was largely socially unacceptable. Thanks goodness she had the guts to not feel the pressure to adopt me out or allow my grandparents to adopt me. My mum is an amazing woman and I'm very lucky to have her. So on our birthdays we try to do something to mark the occasion.


This year I made a whole of of yummy nibbles and in the interest of it being a birthday celebration had to make these cupcakes. This recipe is from the Martha Stewart Cupcakes book and I have long wanted to try them. I saw them blogged about which not only reminded me about the recipe (when you have so many it can get a little confusing), but also said how delicious they were. And they are! If you love Tiramisu (as I do), you WILL love these cupcakes. The cupcake recipe was easy and delicious and the syrup only makes them better. You will think that there is no way you will use it all up, but you do and they aren't soggy and over-syruped at all. And of course anything with mascarpone has GOT to be good. So these are for you mum xxxxx


Tiramisu Cupcakes (Martha Stewart 'Cupcakes')


Cupcakes


1 1/4 c flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 c milk
Vanilla paste or extract (about 1 tsp) 
70g butter
3 large whole eggs and 3 egg yolks at room temperature
1 c sugar


Oven to 170C. Line muffin tins (I got about 26). 
Sift the flour and baking powder together (If you are using unsalted butter ad in 1/2 tsp salt. Heat the milk until bubble just appear around the edge. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla then stand for about 15 mins.


With an electric mixer on medium, whisk together whole eggs, yolks and sugar. Set over a pan of simmering water and whisk my hand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is warm. Remove the bowl from the heat. With the electric mixer on high speed, whisk until the mixture is fluffy, pale yellow and thick enough to hold a ribbon on the surface when the whisk is lifted.


Gently but thoroughly fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture in 3 batches; stir a 1/2 c of the batter into the milk mixture to thicken then fold that into the batter until just combined.


Fill the muffin tin 3/4 full and bake about 20 mins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


To finish brush the tops with the coffee syrup until all the syrup has been used. Allow the cupcakes to sit for 30 mins then put the mascarpone frosting on top and dust with cocoa powder.


Coffee Syrup


1/3 c espresso or strongly brewed coffee
1/4 c marsala or Kahlua 
1/4 c sugar


Stir together until sugar is dissolved.


Mascarpone Frosting


250g mascarpone
1 c cream
1/2 icing sugar


Whisk cream until stiff peaks form. Whisk the mascarpone and icing sugar together and gently fold this into the mascarpone.
My lovely friend Andrea and I
Harry and Ruby


Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment