Saturday, February 25, 2012

ChocoMint Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting


With the other cupcakes packed up and ready to go to work
I made these a couple of weeks ago but am so behind on my blog posts have only got around to posting these now. I saw this on one of the blogs I follow and knew I had to make them straight away. I LOVE those candy canes you get at Xmas time but only to use in my baking. Luckily for me I had the fore site to buy an extra pack in December so I was able to make these a couple of months after Xmas. It's hard to see here but the icing was coloured a lovely minty green as well. This was the first time I had made Peppermint Cream Cheese icing and I have to say that the extra calories are probably not really worth it as buttercream seems to do just as well flavoured with peppermint essence. I loved the look of the pink and white candy canes on top of the minty green frosting though and the cupcakes were lovely and tender. I didn't swirl my icing as it was so hot and humid here that night I knew it would melt and lose it va-va-voom.


Chocomint Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting (from Baking=Love)



2 c flour
1 3/4 c caster sugar
3/4 c cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp vegetable shortening (I had some Kremelta leftover from Harry's party)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c water 
3 eggs
1 c sour cream
2 tsp peppermint extract

Line two 12 cup muffin tins and preheat oven to 180C. (I got about 30 cupcakes from this mix and even then I overfilled the liners a bit)

Place flour, caster sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Rub in shortening until it resembles bread crumbs.

Make a well in the centre and add eggs, oil, water, peppermint extract and sour cream.

Beat on high for 1 minute to incorporate.

Fill the baking cups about 2/3 - 3/4 full.

6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or when a toothpick comes out clean.  Transfer immediately to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting

250g cream cheese, room temperature
120g unsalted butter, room temperature
big pinch of salt
2 tsp peppermint extract
4-5 icing sugar or an much as you need to get the right consistency
optional: green food colouring

Candy canes to decorate

Beat butter until fluffy.  Add cream cheese and beat just enough to incorporate. 

Add icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating only to just incorporate.  Add peppermint extract and a drop or two of food colouring and beat to only just mixed through.

Pipe onto or ice the cooled cupcakes.

Cupcakes will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. 

Just before serving, crush the candy canes in a ziplock bag using a rolling pin and sprinkle on top of the cupcakes. The candy canes will melt into the icing if they are left for too long before eating them.





No comments:

Post a Comment