Thursday, February 10, 2011

Baking for... Carrot Cupcakes



Yesterday at work we were running the New Zealand resuscitation Council for Neonates day which can be rather taxing for everyone (us and the people doing the course). Each time I like take some cupcakes with me to help to lighten the day a little and maybe sweeten it a bit. As I had a mad baking day the day before I wanted something that was easy but tasty. I went to my favourite cupcake book called 'Divine Cupcakes' by Tamara Jane and found this recipe. I halved the recipe and still got 24 cupcakes out of it. Of course everything tastes better with cream cheese icing so I piped some of that on then sprinkled it with a little cerise rainbow dust (edible glitter) which I have been dying to use since I bought it. The girls seemed to like them and the recipe made a lovely light but nicely flavoured cupcake.


Carrot Cupcakes ('Divine Cupcakes'- Tamara Jane)


280 gm flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp mixed spice (I made it a generous half)
1 c vegetable oil
260 gm brown sugar
3 eggs
300 gm grated carrot
75 gm chopped pecans
60 gm sultanas
finely grated zest of a lemon


Oven to 180 C and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.


Sift together the flour, soda and mixed spice. I a separate bowl, beat the oil, sugar and eggs until it is creamy and thick.


Add the grated carrot,pecans, sultanas and zest then beat on a low speed until combined.


Add the flour mixture and beat on a low speed unbtil thoroughly combined but do not overmix.


Bake 22-25 mins and remove from the tins to a wire rack to cool.


Cream Cheese Frosting


60 gm butter softened
200 gm cream cheese
vanilla extract
3-4 c icing sugar


Mix the butter and cream cheese together until well mixed. Add the icing sugar and beat until light and creamy.







1 comment: