Saturday, January 29, 2011

Baking for Dayshift- Brown sugar-Pecan Shortbread and Goodbye Mel and Bex!!!




As I said in my previous post I made 2 treats to take to work tomorrow. This was the other one. I have made something very similar from Dorie Greenspan's wonderful baking book where the pecan nuts are ground up and added to the mix. These were from David Lebovitz's book which as I have said is my new cookbook. The pecans in these are toasted and chopped up coarsely then added to the shortbread mix. I love how the brown sugar adds to the flavour and in fact I think I almost prefer it to using white sugar. These shortbread are totally delicious and far too moreish. They have that lovely buttery flavour and a nice crunch without being too 'short' or too crumbly. I chilled my dough for a couple of hours before I made them which is why I think they held their shape pretty well. The dough in patted out to a rectangle shape, well chilled then cut into squares. I put mine onto a small chopping board lined with clingfilm as it would have been too hard to transfer it to the fridge initially due to the softness of the dough.


Brown Sugar-Pecan Shortbread


2 c flour
225 gm butter at room temperature
2/3 c (140 gm) lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
100 gm pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped


Beat the butter and sugar together until pale, smooth and well mixed. Mix in the vanilla. Add the flour and mix until incorporated then stir in the pecans.


Form into a rectangle and wrap in clingfilm then chill well for at least an hour in the fridge. Cut into squares and put onto 2 baking trays lined with baking paper. Bake at 170 C for 15 mins rotating the trays half way through baking so they all colour evenly. As soon as you can transfer them off the baking tray and onto cooling racks.







As an end to this post I want to say a big goodbye to Melissa (my new sister-in-law) and my niece Rebecca who finally got to go back home to the Gold Coast today after a stressful last 2 weeks. It was lovely to have you here and we will miss you heaps. Love you lots and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!!!!!! xxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm looking at your cookies and I'm starting to get very hungry. They look like a perfect little treat. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up as well as any other sweet treats from this week if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete