Thursday, December 9, 2010

Baking for Nightshift- Vanilla Cupcakes



For my nightshifts last week it was Jodie's birthday. She and I do the same job in our unit. It was a very busy and unenjoyable birthday for her as we have been so horrendously busy she didn't get a minute to sit down and relax for a break for the whole 13 hours. No wonder the poor thing was shattered by her last day! I thought I would whip up a batch of cupcakes for her so she could at least have a sweet treat for the end of the day. As she is a girly-girl I thought there was only one way to go and that was PINK! Therefore I made these delicious vanilla cupcakes and coloured the buttercream icing pink then threw on some sprinkles to pretty them up. I used my large Wilton tip but I think they almost look a little like pink doggy poos...I'm trying to see as more of a soft serve effect for obvious reasons!


This is a very easy recipe and makes lovely light cupcakes. It is from a book called 'Divine Cupcakes' by Tamara Jane. Tonight for night shift I have made another batch of Christmas Mince Tarts. Things are so busy at this time of year as not only is it Christmas time, but also the end of the school year and all that goes with that, and my baby Harry's birthday too, (not to mention the birthdays of two little friends of his called Ruby and Billy). Anyway here is the recipe if you want to give these a go. The recipe says that it makes 24 but I get around 30 from this mix.


Vanilla Cupcakes


415 gm plain four
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
230 gm butter
330 gm sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
250 ml milk


Oven to 170 C and line cupcake tins with papers.


Whisk flour, salt and baking powder together.


In a large bowl beat the butter for a couple of minutes until it is nice and creamy. Add sugar in 2 lots beating well after each until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating for at least a minute ofter each addition. Beat in the vanilla.


Add 1/3 of the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Don't over beat after each addition but make sure the mixture is smooth.


Put into the cupcake cases.


Bake about 18 min or until cooked. Transfer onto a rack out of the tins and cool before icing.

1 comment:

  1. they DID look like pink dog poo, but were soooo yummy that i now include dog poo in my diet.

    Stef xx

    ReplyDelete