Monday, March 5, 2012

Chocolate Afghans


So I have just finished a set of three long days...which has been more than a shock to my system as I usually work night shift. On Thursday I baked 3 things to take on both Friday and Saturday. These made it to the Friday goodies..... I like my Afghans to be crispy rather than soft so I made sure to cook them for a little bit longer. I also discovered that I had no walnuts left so instead used some toasted slivered almonds which were perfectly good with these biscuits. I also made a yummy chocolate buttercream for the top as this seems to be more traditional to me than a ganache, and it tastes a lot better in my opinion.


Chocolate Afghans


200 g butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla 
1 1/4 c plain flour
1/4 c cocoa
1 1/2 c cornflakes, crushed



Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.


In a large bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift in flour and cocoa, stir thoroughly with the butter mixture until combined before stirring in the cornflakes.


Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture into a ball and put onto the baking tray then press down a bit with a fork. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before icing.


Use your favourite chocolate buttercream icing and top with either a walnut or toasted slivered almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment